Monday, November 11, 2013

First Original 3D Print!

I printed the first prototype of the accessory today! It went a lot better than I expected. It printed quicker than I expected, it was cheaper than I expected, and best of all, the handle fit like a glove to the can! It's good to see that neurotic measuring actually pays off. I wanted to get an early print going before I started the lid just because I want to get a rough idea of how big to make the connecting cylinder. Here's some pics:

Here it is on a surface. The soda can tilts a bit with the handle on, but it's not that big of a deal. I mean, it's meant to be held...


I'm surprised how tight of a fit it is despite the fact that this notch isn't even the right size. No seriously, I can shake this handle around and it doesn't fall off.

This is the part where the lid will attach. I think I'm going to make it bigger.

Model and IRL :)


My girlfriend, already using my 3D prints as a chew toy...


Of course, the main purpose of a prototype is finding ways to make the object better. Here's a few I came up with:

1.) Decrease the spacing between the can and handle. So, decrease the width of the arms of the handle.

2.) Increase space of notch of top grip so it actually attaches to rim of can.

3.) Engrave a name into the handle, so handle can also be used as a permanent name tag.

4.) Increase size of the part that connects lid. It looks a bit puny right now.



No comments:

Post a Comment